Re: auditory distortion caused by yawning

Dear Harriet, Martin, Roger, Yi-Wen, and List,

In a recent publication [1] I have proposed a "sensory-
consonance condition b" (few or no large gaps in the pattern
of partial-tone excitation peaks on the basilar membrane of the
inner ear), to be added to "condition a"  (i.e., to the Helmholtz
consonance condition, few or no pairs of partial tones having
nearly equal frequencies and thus generating disagreeable
beats). Violation of my condition b, however, is perceived as
disagreeable in the sense of "hollow", rather than in the sense
of "dissonant" or "discordant". An increase of dissonance
through yawning therefore appears to imply an increasing
violation of the Helmholtz condition, i.e., a level increase of
those pairs of partial-tone excitation peaks which even in
comparatively consonant chords have nearly equal frequencies.

For instance, in the major third consisting of two simultaneous
harmonic complex tones C4 (264 Hz) and E4 (330 HZ), the sixth
partial of the deeper tone has 1584 Hz, and the fifth partial of
the higher tone has 1650 Hz. These two partials generate 66
beats per second, fairly close to the (broad) roughness
maximum, discussed in [1], at a beat-rate of
(1.1 s^-0.5) * sqrt(1617 s^-1) = 44 s^-1 .

Second example: in the minor third consisting of two
simultaneous harmonic complex tones E4 (330 Hz) and
G4 (396 Hz), the fifth partial of the deeper tone has 1650 Hz,
and the fourth partial of the higher tone has 1584 Hz. These
two partials also generate 66 beats per second, close to the
(broad) roughness maximum at a beat-rate of 44 s^-1.

How can yawning selectively enhance the cochlear
amplification at frequencies of about 1.5 kHz and higher?
Possibly, increased dissonance perceived after yawning is
caused by the active cochlear amplifier (CA) being turned off
before yawning and turned on after. Near 300 Hz, the CA
amplification factor is close to 1.0, whereas in the several-kHz
region, in a healthy cochlea, that factor can be as high as
1000 (i.e., 60 dB).

Reinhart.

[1] R. Frosch, "Psycho-Acoustic Experiments on the Sensory
Consonance of Musical Two-Tones", Canadian Acoustics,
Vol. 35, No. 3 (2007) 38-45.

Reinhart Frosch,
Dr. phil. nat.,
r. PSI and ETH Zurich,