Acoustical variability in species-specific acoustical repertoire

Dear list,

I am interested in works that compare quantitatively the acoustical
variability of the sound signals produced by different animals.

In other words, do we have a quantitative measure of the extent to which
the different chirps that crickets can produce constitute a corpus of
acoustical signals that is less (I expect) variable than, say, the corpus of vocal signals monkeys or humans can produce?

Thank you.

Bruno L. Giordano, Ph.D.
Music Perception and Cognition Laboratory
CIRMMT http://www.cirmmt.mcgill.ca/
Schulich School of Music, McGill University
555 Sherbrooke Street West
Montréal, QC H3A 1E3