Re: MFCC method

I agree that the Greenwood function would be more logical, but as Lazlo Toth points out, there's not really enough difference to matter in cases that have been looked at.

Don Greenwood gave me a collection of his papers, which I'm supposed to put on-line some place and summarize better in wikipedia, too. Thanks for pointing out that article; I might link some paper copies there, and refer to it from the mel article.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwood_Function

And I want to thank Malcolm again since I might not have made it clear that the reason the info appears in wikipedia is because he sent it here, and sent me copies of the papers. He has the sense to convert his hearing library to digital form some years ago, so he can find things that I never can.

Dick