explain the adaptation in cochlear implant listeners..but it could be a
different mechanism for them, who knows..

-- Monita Chatterjee

>>> "Strickland, Elizabeth A" <estrick@xxxxxxxxxx> 02/05/09 1:11 PM >>>
If Neal Viemeister or Sid Bacon are monitoring this list, they can tell
you that they have seen this rapid adaptation at high frequencies in
psychophysical experiments, in normal-hearing people.

Beth Strickland

From: AUDITORY - Research in Auditory Perception
[mailto:AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of José Ignacio Alcántara
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2009 12:25 PM
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: The ear dynamically adapting frequency response

Not wishing to be pedantic, but I doubt very much whether any mobile
phone transducer would have a useable frequency range extending to 16
kHz.  But then again, 8 kHz would work just as well for presbyacustic

And as far as I recall, significant adaption in hearing is relatively
rare, so much so that it used to be one of the diagnostic signs of
retrocochlear (e.g. acoustic neuroma) pathology.