Re: information transmission analyses

I did my Master's on this subject, and had to chance to read Attneave and the rest of the literature in depth.  Information theory as applied to psychology, as popularized  by Attneave after Garner & Hake, has nothing at all to do with transmission of anything.  When applied to traditional absolute judgment (identification) experiments, for example, it is merely an alternative measure of short-term sensory memory.  Which has nothing to do with Claude Shannon's "general communications system".  In your case, memory capacity is probably what the analysis will indicate.  I am surprised that anyone uses the Garner-Hake information approach anymore; mathematical psychologists (Duncan Luce, Donald Laming, Sandy MacRae, etc.) recognized its severe limitations years ago and abandoned it.  So (eventually) did acoustics users like Neff and Lutfi.  The human being is NOT a Shannon communication channel.  Granted, the measures that result from processing the confusion matrix are covariance measures of a sort.  In that case, ordinary covariance measures may provide a more meaningful way of analyzing your data.  In response to your question, then, none of TRANS, TRANS/INPUT or TRANS/TI are appropriate measures for your purposes.  Information theory doesn't work that way.  Attneave got the math right, but that had already been done; but Attneave's interpretations (after Garner & Hake) were all dead wrong.  - Lance Nizami BSc (Physics) MSc (Biomedical Engineering) PhD (Psychophysics), Decatur, GA 30030