Listening test of transformation of voice quality and expressivity

Dear auditory list,

I have been working for some time on the transformation of voice quality of recorded speech in order to make a voice whispering, breathy etc. and to modify the expressivity of the voice. Having applied these transformations to a number of voices, I would like your opinion on the result, both with respect to the naturalness of the voice, the quality of the sound, and whether it sounds as intended. I therefore invite you to participate in this listening test:

It takes about 20 minutes to complete. The sound samples are in French but you don't have to worry about the meaning :-)

After having done the test, please feel free to comment on and discuss the test and the fact that I use a web page to harvest data. I am conscient that the liberty of listening conditions may affect the judgements, but is it objectionable for such a listening test? Anyway, please use your best headphones or loudspeakers as well as quite surroundings; it's better that way :-)

Well, another thing: If your navigator does not support Quicktime (for playing the sounds), there is a link "no-Quicktime" on the first page which gives a different version that should work.

I thank you in advance for your participation!

-Snorre Farner
PS. I tried to send this email last week, but it didn't appear. I'm sorry for not giving you more time, but I'll still have to close the test Tuesday evening.

Snorre Ballière FARNER, researcher -- http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~farner
IRCAM, Analysis/Synthesis Group
1 place Igor Stravinsky, FR-75004 Paris, France
Tel.: +33 144 78 16 07 or +33 954 04 11 37. Email: farner@xxxxxxxx