Talking to Computers

Dear Auditory list,

I am currently writing my dissertation on computer speech, or more specifically human reaction, response and feelings when engaging in conversation with a machine. The study is focusing on systems like "expressive speech synthesis" (the computer analysing the incoming human voice and responding accordingly) and asking whether we are ready and willing to engage with technology like this.

I am having trouble finding literature that covers this subject; I have found a lot of theory-based writing, such as Principles of Computer Speech, (Witten, 1982) and Electronic Synthesis of Speech, (Linggard 1985) covering speech synthesis itself but not much on what happens to humans when using it.

If anybody can suggest any books, journals or articles that would be a great help.

Thank you.

Paul Grant

Surfing the web just got more rewarding. Download the New Internet Explorer 8