Re: Talking to Computers

Dear Paul,

There is a huge amount published on this topic – and many good textbooks much more recent than those you cite.  A couple of texts that address the points that I think you are interested in are …

  1. Nass, C., & Brave, S. (2005). Wired for Speech: How Voice Activates and Advances the Human-computer Relationship. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
  2. Balentine, B. (2007). It's Better to Be a Good Machine Than a Bad Person: Speech Recognition and Other Exotic User Interfaces at the Twilight of the Jetsonian Age: ICMI Press.

To find out more about the basic underlying technologies, I particularly recommend …

Holmes, J. N., & Holmes, W. (2002). Speech Synthesis and Recognition: Taylor & Francis.

… and to find out about ‘expressive’ (i.e. emotional) speech, take a look at the HUMAINE website - http://emotion-research.net/

Good luck

Roger Moore

Prof ROGER K MOORE BA(Hons) MSc PhD FIOA MIET

Chair of Spoken Language Processing
Speech and Hearing Research Group (SPandH)
Department of Computer Science, University of Sheffield,
Regent Court, 211 Portobello,
Sheffield, S1 4DP, UK

e-mail: r.k.moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
web:    http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~roger/