Re: Talking piano

Dear all:

Can I suggest, from  looking at the machine, that it will be able to make
sounds a human piano-player cannot: it appears to be able to hit all 88
notes simultaneously if required, each with a different strength

(i) this is a great many more notes than a pair of human hands can play at
once (limited to about 12 or altogether), and equally importantly) it  can
play notes over the whole range of the piano simultaneously, allowing a
much richer set of sounds

(ii) The machine can also adjust the precise strength with which it hits
notes individually

As a result, it can make sounds that a human pianist really cannot make.

Actually, I once heard a jazz pianist play some sounds that sounded
distinctly like speech: but I cannot recall her name, unfortunately.

--Leslie Smith (another piano-player)

--
Prof Leslie Smith
Head, Department of Computing Science and Mathematics

--
The Sunday Times Scottish University of the Year 2009/2010
The University of Stirling is a charity registered in Scotland,