Regards, hollis taylor

Dr. Hollis Taylor
Sydney, Australia

On 13/12/2009, at 4:02 PM, AUDITORY automatic digest system wrote:

There is 1 message totalling 54 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

 1. Materials for psychology course for Music Majors

Date:    Sat, 12 Dec 2009 01:20:55 -0500
From:    Matthew McCabe <mccabem@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Materials for psychology course for Music Majors

hi all --

i'm in the process of developing my first music psychology class here at
CSU for this coming Spring semester, and i thought i would ask a really
loaded question:

can anyone recommend introductory-level materials (journal articles
or online resources preferable) that i can use to bring undergraduate
music majors up to speed on general psychology and auditory perception
topics?

the reason i ask is this:  the majority of them will have never seen
anything like this before since the course is for music majors.  our
school is very performance-oriented, and it wouldn't surprise me if i had
to explain things like the physics of a vibrating string and explain what
an overtone is during the first week...  time i don't want to squander.

i'm looking for easy-to-understand articles on the fundamentals --
auditory perception, cognitive psychology, the scientific method, things
like that.  we will be addressing a variety of topics, but i haven't quite
nailed down specifically which yet.  in all likelihood we will do things
like emotion, memory, and musical meaning, but i need to see how much time
i have once we get past the basics.

if you've taught a course like this before, please let me know what you
have used.  i've already chosen our textbook -- William Forde Thompson's
"Music, Thought, and Feeling" -- which I like very much.  i think the
students will enjoy it if i present it the right way!  many of them have
never approached music in this way before and i'm looking forward to
messing them up a bit :)

best,

---
matthew mccabe <mccabem@xxxxxxx>
visiting assistant professor / music tech :: columbus state university
ph.d. candidate :: music composition :: uf college of fine arts
lab member :: reilly cognition and language lab :: uf phhp

End of AUDITORY Digest - 11 Dec 2009 to 12 Dec 2009 (#2009-282)

=