class notes for Psychology of Music on my site pages.nyu.edu/~rr6 under "Courses". There's a somewhat dated reading list on there too.

best,

robert

On Dec 13, 2009, at 1:59 PM, Ross Alexander Hendler wrote:

You should try making contact with Dr. Robert Rowe at NYU:

http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/faculty_bios/view/Robert_Rowe

He has some amazing lectures doing just what you are looking for.

Ross

----- Original Message -----
From: Matthew McCabe <mccabem@xxxxxxx>
Date: Friday, December 11, 2009 10:22 pm
Subject: Materials for psychology course for Music Majors
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hi all --

i'm in the process of developing my first music psychology class here
at
CSU for this coming Spring semester, and i thought i would ask a
really
loaded question:

can anyone recommend introductory-level materials (journal articles
or online resources preferable) that i can use to bring undergraduate

music majors up to speed on general psychology and auditory perception

topics?

the reason i ask is this:  the majority of them will have never seen
anything like this before since the course is for music majors.  our
school is very performance-oriented, and it wouldn't surprise me if i
had
to explain things like the physics of a vibrating string and explain
what
an overtone is during the first week...  time i don't want to squander.

i'm looking for easy-to-understand articles on the fundamentals --
auditory perception, cognitive psychology, the scientific method,
things
like that.  we will be addressing a variety of topics, but i haven't
quite
nailed down specifically which yet.  in all likelihood we will do
things
like emotion, memory, and musical meaning, but i need to see how much
time
i have once we get past the basics.

if you've taught a course like this before, please let me know what
you
have used.  i've already chosen our textbook -- William Forde
Thompson's
"Music, Thought, and Feeling" -- which I like very much.  i think the

students will enjoy it if i present it the right way!  many of them
have
never approached music in this way before and i'm looking forward to
messing them up a bit :)

best,

---
matthew mccabe <mccabem@xxxxxxx>
visiting assistant professor / music tech :: columbus state university
ph.d. candidate :: music composition :: uf college of fine arts
lab member :: reilly cognition and language lab :: uf phhp

Robert Rowe
Vice-Chair
Director, Music Composition
NYU Steinhardt School
Dept. of Music & Performing Arts Professions
35 W. Fourth St. Room 777D
New York NY 10012
(212) 998 5435 ph
(212) 995 4043 fx