Re: auditory illusion

Dear list and Leon,

I have fooled around in the past with sequences that seem to speed up or slow down indefinitely.  I was interested to read about the sequence created by Guy Madison, cited by Leon. But I couldn't find an audio demo associated with the article, although I would have liked to hear it.

In my experience, in order to create one of these sequences, the sequence must be a temporal fractal, i.e., self-similar at different temporal scales.  I have attached a pdf file with a simple example.  I used Word to create the original because I didn't want to put the text directly into this email, for fear that the browser would change the line lengths.  So please follow the rest of this message in the attached pdf document.

Cheers,

--  Al
Albert S. Bregman, Emeritus Professor
Psychology Department, McGill University
1205 Docteur Penfield Avenue
Montreal, QC, Canada H3A 1B1.
Office:  Phone: (514) 398-6103, Fax: (514) 398-4896
Residence phone & fax: (514) 484-2592
http://webpages.mcgill.ca/staff/Group2/abregm1/web/