Northeast Music Cognition Group: Call for Participation

(Apologies for the cross-posting)

Dear Colleague,

We are writing to invite you to participate in the first of what we hope
will be several regular meetings of the Northeast Music Cognition Group
(NEMCOG).  The goal of this group is to facilitate interaction among
researchers at institutions along the Northeast Corridor who are
interested in the area of music cognition, to discuss research in the
field, and to identify topics of joint interest and areas for potential
collaboration.

Our inaugural workshop will take place on Saturday, February 6 at New
York University's Music and Audio Research Laboratory (details TBA).  If
you would like to attend this opening event, RSVP to
owner-nemcog-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx by January 22.  There is no
registration fee, and catered lunch will be provided.

We plan to hold a second meeting in New Haven in April 2010, and then
two meetings per semester, based on our members' interest.

The schedule for the inaugural workshop is as follows:

9:30am-12:00pm Introductions and presentation of research projects
12:00-1:30pm Lunch
1:30-2:30pm Keynote talk by Eugene Narmour
2:30-3:00pm Break
3:00-5:00pm Free-form discussion

Your participation in this event might take one of several forms:

(1)  Most minimally, you might choose to be an "interested
non-attendee."  In this role, you would be kept abreast of the group's
activities through continued inclusion on our e-mail list.  If this
message was forwarded to you by a colleague or through another e-mail
list, and you would like to receive our regular announcements, please
contact owner-nemcog-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(2)  Less minimally, you might choose to participate in the workshop
itself, in one of two ways:

(a)  You might come as a simple participant, attending the day's events
and enjoying the company of your colleagues.

(b)  You might, in addition, choose to give a very short (10-15 minutes)
and informal presentation of your work, aimed at a fairly general
audience that will include people with established research programs in
areas outside your specialty, as well as graduate students and other
newcomers to the field.  The goal is simply to give a broadly
contextualized sense of the questions you're asking, not a detailed
picture of your answers.

If you would like to do a presentation, please indicate so in your RSVP
with a tentative title and, optionally, a short abstract or bio.  This
information will be shared with our attendees and posted on our web site.

We hope that most people will choose to present their work at our
upcoming meeting.  However, future meetings will include similar
opportunities, so please don't worry if you can't introduce your work
this time around.

The final session on our schedule is a free-form discussion, open to all
participants, in which we will share ideas concerning the future course
of our group.  In particular, we will discuss possible activities that
this group might undertake in the future, from formal talks to organized
panels to informal discussion of preprints and recent articles.

We would like this group to be a valuable resource for the region's
music cognition community, and look forward to your participation in
getting the group off the ground.

Please circulate this invitation widely to anybody that you think might
be interested and able to attend either the opening meeting in New York
or future meetings in New Haven or elsewhere in the area.

Yours,

Morwaread Farbood and Panayotis Mavromatis
NYU Music and Audio Research Laboratory
Department of Music and Performing Arts
New York University

Ève Poudrier and Ian Quinn
Department of Music and Program in Cognitive Science
Yale University