Re: mechanical cochlear model

Dear Jan and list:

Your intuitions are close to the mark, I think. The problem with the
traveling wave model is that the maths tends to obscure rather than
clarify what is going on.

The TW model describes what's happening in passive structures at high
sound pressure levels. But for active systems and low SPLs, it doesn't
seem to work so well. A live cochlea functions very differently to a dead
one.

I hope some of the references I provided help you find a believable
explanation of what is going on. The cochlea is tiny and hidden, and we
need logic and intuition - and the remarkable window provided by
otoacoustic emissions - to work out the truth of the matter.

Andrew.

Andrew Bell
Research School of Biology
Australian National University