Re: mp3 and the perceptual coding

You haven't mentioned the background of the students yet, tough - is
there any information theory in their curriculum?  The benefits of
perceptual coding are hard to explain without pointing the difference
between lossy and lossless coding (and why the former is so much more
efficient).

they are psychology students. in fact, the problem is that, so far, I found things written mostly by engineers (I guess).

in the mean time, thanks for all the replies,