From: Linda Seltzer [mailto:lseltzer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, April 9, 2010 09:47 PM
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Request for information on ICA-Maximum likelihood approach

I should add that when ICA is used in fMRI (e.g. the use of fast ICA in Brain Voyager), PCA is used first for dimensionality reduction. Linda Seltzer > Hi Vijay, > > I'm not sure you could start a Matlab script from scratch to do ICA > with Maximum likelihood approach. As far as I've gathered, there's > quite a lot of (heavy) maths involved to find equivalent ways to write > the initial ICA assumptions - like minimizing the maximum likelihood > contrast function. Most of the different ICA implementations start > from maximum likelihood (or similar criteria) and differ in the > strategies they've used to actually allow calculation. (Does it make > sense?)... > > That said, apart from the link given by Taylan and Linda, Tony Bell > has interesting demos and papers (I'd recommend Bell and Sejnowski, > 1995) available on his website: > http://cnl.salk.edu/~tony/ica.html > You might also find JADE (see Cardoso, 1999) or Fast-ICA (see > Hyvarinen & Oja, 2000) Matlab implementations interesting "to play > with" : > > http://www.tsi.enst.fr/icacentral/algos.html > http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/ahyvarin/papers/fastica.shtml > > Best regards, > Idrick > > Quoting Vijaykumar Peddinti : > >> Dear All, >> >> This is might be a silly question. But I am trying to do a small >> project on separating signals using Independent Component Analysis >> (ICA) Maximum likelihood approach for my class. So far the articles >> I found leave me with more questions than answers. I have never done >> anything with ICA before. I am lost in the process of finding the >> information. >> >> It would be of great help if anybody could point me in the correct >> direction or send me an basic Introductory paper/tutorial (if >> possible) on ICA (Maximum likelihood approach). I am not trying >> anything fancy, I am trying to get a basic simulation working in >> MATLAB. >> >> Thank you very much. >> >> Best Regards, >> Vijay >> >