AW: experiment on roughness of complex tones

Hello Alex,

There are several published experiments, on the topic that you have mentioned, after Plomp and Levelt (1965). Since the experimental part of that paper in my opinion is very good, I include it in the following list (which is in alphabetical order):

R. Frosch (2002), Sections 3.2 (Consonant two-tones), 3.3 (Remarks on consonance theories),  3.4 (Why are thirds beautiful), in "Meantone Is Beautiful, Studies on Tunings of Musical Instruments", Peter Lang, Bern, pp. 44-66.

R. Frosch (2007), Psycho-Acoustic Experiments on the Sensory Consonance of Musical Two-Tones, Canadian Acoustics, Vol. 35, No. 3, 38-45.

D. E. Hall and J. T. Hess (1984), Perception of Musical Interval Tuning, Music Perception 2, 166-195.

A. Kameoka and M. Kuriyagawa (1969a), Consonance Theory Part I: Consonance of Dyads, JASA 45, 1451-1459.

A. Kameoka and M. Kuriyagawa (1969b), Consonance Theory Part II: Consonance of Complex Tones and its Calculation Method, JASA 45, 1460-1469.

R. Plomp and W. J. M. Levelt (1965), Tonal Consonance and Critical Bandwidth, JASA 38, 548-560.

J. Vos (1986), Purity Ratings of Tempered Fifths and Major Thirds, Music Perception 3, 221-258.

With best wishes,

Reinhart.