Interesting question regarding perceived note onset

Suppose we have 2 (or more) musical notes, played with some kind of standard musical-instrument onset.  Let’s use, say, piano, guitar, and maybe a woodwind.

What is the analytic result (looking at the analytic  envelopes of the signals) in terms of time offset (or not) that results  in the notes being perceived as exactly simultaneous?

First, with notes nearby (to get dL’s) and then with widely spread notes (in frequency, not time), to get a sense of how the various bandwidths of the cochlear filtering and the bandwidth of the instrument play off against each other.

Interestingly I’m not actually aware of any clear results of this sort, although they may exist, I don’t know of them.

Has anyone heard of such a thing?

jj

__________________________

James D. Johnston  (jj@xxxxxxx)

CHIEF SCIENTIST - DTS, Inc.

425-814-3200, ext. 134 - office
425-814-3204 - fax
206-321-7449- mobile

11410 NE 122nd Way,  Suite 100
Kirkland, WA 98034

This electronic transmission (and/or the documents accompanying it) may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized use, copying or distribution is prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify DTS, Inc immediately by telephone (425-814-3200) and destroy the original message. Messages sent to and from us may be monitored.

Notice:
This message and any included attachments are intended only for the use of the addressee, and may contain information that is privileged or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please destroy the original message and any copies or printouts hereof.