Re: Testing whether some humans can hear high frequencies inaudible to "normal" humans

Oh, and forgot to mention ... has the child had a complete audiological evaluation?  Any history of middle ear infections?  Kiddos with a hx of OM also react with alarm to many sounds.
That would be the first place to start.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Harriet B. Jacobster, Au.D., CCC-A, FAAA
Board Certified in Audiology
hjacobster@xxxxxxx

Harriet B. Jacobster, AuD wrote:
Ajay,
Such behavior is not uncommon in children with autism or autism spectrum disorders. Does this child have a history of learning disabilities?
I would imagine this is a lot easier to evaluate than whether the child has supersonic hearing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Harriet B. Jacobster, Au.D., CCC-A, FAAA
Board Certified in Audiology
hjacobster@xxxxxxx

Divakaran, Ajay wrote:

Dear List,

My friend thinks that his child can hear frequencies that are inaudible to other humans because of which he sometimes reacts with alarm that no one else understands. Is there a way we can verify this systematically? In my electronics lab during my undergrad one of my friends tested my hearing by varying the frequency output of a signal generator. Is there  a possibility of doing that on a PC?

Also, I would highly appreciate any references on music therapy for language delayed children. I am interested in vocal music training in particular but would appreciate any general music training as well for therapeutic purposes.

Best Regards,

ajay

Ajay Divakaran, Ph.D.
Technical Manager