Re: Testing whether some humans can hear high frequencies inaudible to "normal" humans

You’d need an external sound card, of reasonable quality, as the internal cards on PCs don’t go above 20KHz – you need to go up to 26KHz, so need to play 96 KHz sample rate .wavs

From: AUDITORY - Research in Auditory Perception [mailto:AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Divakaran, Ajay
Sent: 14 June 2010 01:25
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Testing whether some humans can hear high frequencies inaudible to "normal" humans

Dear List,

My friend thinks that his child can hear frequencies that are inaudible to other humans because of which he sometimes reacts with alarm that no one else understands. Is there a way we can verify this systematically? In my electronics lab during my undergrad one of my friends tested my hearing by varying the frequency output of a signal generator. Is there  a possibility of doing that on a PC?

Also, I would highly appreciate any references on music therapy for language delayed children. I am interested in vocal music training in particular but would appreciate any general music training as well for therapeutic purposes.

Best Regards,

Ajay Divakaran, Ph.D.
Technical Manager
Vision and Multi-Sensor Systems
Sarnoff Corporation
201 Washington Road
PO Box 5300
Princeton, NJ 08543

Phone: 609-734-2204

Cell: 609-578-7065
Fax: 609-734-2662

The University of Derby has a published policy regarding email and reserves the right to monitor email traffic. If you believe this email was sent to you in error, please notify the sender and delete this email. Please direct any concerns to Infosec@xxxxxxxxxxxx
The policy is available here: http://www.derby.ac.uk/LIS/Email-Policy