Re: Music listening styles

Dear Lawrence,

I am not a neurologist, but through our work with patients with Parkinson's Disease (PPD) we know that this is an illness in which the basal ganglia do not work any more as they should. It is said that the basal ganglia are important for the control of  automatic movements, such as walking. But PPD can still execute the movements under full attentional control. External rhythmic cues such as metronomes and music with strong and regular beats can help them to execute these movements more fluent again. However, a double task, that takes the full attention away disrupts this control again. So as music making is full of double tasks I can understand your concern that your feeling of losing the control to stay on top of the music has to do with compromised basal ganglia.

Leon van Noorden
visiting professor Music and Movement
Institute for Psycho-acoustics and Electronic Music
Ghent University
www.ipem.ugent.be