Re: Effects of high-G on human hearing

I seem to recall that in the early (1950/60s) of using centrifuge training for astronauts, some people reported hearing noises...  Whether this was ever investigated, or indeed, how the reported (internally-generated) noise was distinguished from what must have been a pretty noisy environment, I'm afraid I don't know,

Seems like NASA might be a good place to begin your search, assuming you've already searched the USAF?

Jose

On 14 Feb 2011, at 20:17, Neil Waterman wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Trying to short cut an attack on Google here - can anyone point me at any research related to the effect of high 'G' loading on human hearing. My core interest is understanding the sort of effect a fighter pilot might experience during high-G maneuvers with respect to both voice communications (via helmet/headset) and that of the aircraft sounds.
>
> Thanks in anticipation, Neil

Dr José Ignacio Alcántara

Department of Experimental Psychology
University of Cambridge