Re: Interpreting Negative d prime values in simple Yes/No detection task

A negative d prime means that the false-alarm rate is greater than the hit rate.  It sounds to me that
the experimental design does not let you discriminate between "expected-interval" false alarms (FAs) and
"unexpected-interval" FAs.  If, on the catch trials, the participant generates more FAs based on the
noise-alone stimulus in the expected interval than in the unexpected interval, then the expected-interval
FA rate is higher than the unexpected-interval FA rate.  If you use the FA rate on catch trials as the
FA rate to compute the d prime for both expected and unexpected intervals, without differentiating
between expected- and unexpected-interval FAs (and it may not be possible to differentiate them in the
data), then negative d primes could be found for the unexpected intervals, whenever the combined FA rate
was greater than the unexpected-interval hit rate.  Similarly, the d primes for the expected intervals
may be lower than they should be because the overall FA rate for the catch trials would count both
expected- and unexpected-interval FAs.

One more minor point.  If the participant responded only on the basis of the expected time interval,
that would yield valid expected-interval d primes and chance unexpected-interval d primes.  If the
participant is responding on the basis of the full interval and shifting the response criterion
consistent with target expectation, then the above-chance unexpected-interval negative d prime
becomes possible.

E. William Yund, Ph.D.

Hearing Loss Research Laboratory (151/MTZ)
VA Northern California Health Care System
150 Muir Road
Martinez, CA 94553

yund@xxxxxxxxx
(925)372-2296