Re: Error Bars ( 95 % CI or SE)

A belated addition: it is sometimes the case that neither the SEs nor the CIs of the means of two conditions are particularly important or informative (over and above a description of the distributions) but rather that the SE or CI of the mean *difference* between the two conditions is important and informative thing to present and discuss. Cheers, Daniel

From: AUDITORY - Research in Auditory Perception [mailto:AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Kim White
Sent: 11 December 2011 09:53
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Error Bars ( 95 % CI or SE)

Coming back to the original question:

CI's are calculated with a formula with the CE in it... They are different ways of plotting the same results.

Best, Kim White

2011/12/11 Stuart Rosen <s.rosen@xxxxxxxxx>

Let me put forward a dissenting opinion. What you should display in your graph is neither of these but a boxplot which will give a true picture of the distribution of values that you found rather than a statistical inference which depends as much on the number of participants you used as any difference in performance between the two groups. You are going to do a statistical test anyway (and you could quote an effect size) so why waste the opportunity to give more information?

Yours - Stuart Rosen