From: AUDITORY - Research in Auditory Perception [mailto:AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Christopher Hummersone
Sent: 26 January 2012 11:58
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: measuring music playback quality

Marc,

Some colleagues of mine ran tests like this a few years ago. See:

Beresford, K, Ford, N, Rumsey, F and Zielinski, SK (2006) Contextual effects on sound quality judgements: listening room and automotive environments, 120th AES Convention, Paper 6648, http://epubs.surrey.ac.uk/565.

Beresford, K., Ford, N., Rumsey, Francis and Zielinski, Slawomir (2006) Contextual effects on sound quality judgements: Part 2 - multi-stimulus vs. single stimulus method, 121st AES Convention, Paper 6913, http://epubs.surrey.ac.uk/526.

They found a single stimulus method to be invalid under their particular experimental setup.

I think the point is that everyone has an internal reference: an idea of what sounds good, based on their experience. This can vary dramatically between people, and can be biased by many factors. The identified reference in multi-stimulus experiments attempts to minimise this effect by providing everyone with a common reference.

Chris

This e-mail and its contents are subject to the DISCLAIMER at http://www.tno.nl/emaildisclaimer