Advice on External USB Sound Interface for Latptop

Dear All,

I am a PhD student at the Centre for Brain and Cognitive Development, Birkbeck College, London, and am currently setting up an auditory psychophysics thresholding experiment. I am running a series of auditory measures via laptop, and need an additional sound interface to supplement the built-in sound card to a HP laptop and a MacBook Pro.

Ideally, I am looking for something along the lines of the Edirol UA3d (http://www.zzounds.com/item--EDIUA3D); however, the product is no longer in production. Could anyone recommend a similar product that employs this ease of 'plug-n-play' functionality, with compatibility across PC and Mac platforms? I am working to a moderate budget (i.e., sub-$100), and would appreciate any recommendations anyone has. I have considered this product as an alternative: http://www.maplin.co.uk/digital-to-analogue-audio-convertor-504890. Has anyone used this type of device before, or have any suggestions besides?

Many thanks!

Dan Carey

-----
Daniel Carey,
Centre for Brain and Cognitive Development,
32 Torrington Sq,
London
WC1E 7HX
UK