Advice on External USB Sound Interface for Latptop

Dear Dan,
I suppose you are not in need of having a 5.1 sound output, as the one offered by the Edirol UA3d, therefore...from Edirol, you could go on the UA-1EX, which is similar to the Maplin one, but surely better quality (and should be within your price range).
You could then go for the cheaper Behringer (like the UCA222, UCA202 or again the XENYX 302), but I'm not sure I'd recommend that. If you want to also be able to record a standard microphone signal on an XLR connector, you could have a look at the Alesis IO/2 Express or at the M-Audio Fast Track. All these are in your price range! If you then can spend a little bit more, you can start having a look to products from Presonus and Focusrite.
I hope this helps!
Lorenzo

--
Dr. Lorenzo Picinali
Senior Lecturer in Music/Audio Technology