Re: question about localization rig

Dear Stefan,

In our lab (ExpORL, KU Leuven), we use two RME Multiface II sound
cards (http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_multiface_2.php), connected
directly to active loudspeakers. Any number of these sound cards can
be simply linked together and act as one ASIO sound card with many
The nice thing about using a standard ASIO sound card is that you
don't have to cope with any special drivers, toolboxes or ActiveX

On the software side we mainly use our APEX 3 platform, which can
easily be configured for sound localisation experiments. Cf.
http://www.kuleuven.be/exporl/apex for more information.

best regards,

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Stefan Bleeck <bleeck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear learned colleagues
> We are replacing our old psychophysics sound localization rig that is
> regularly used in research and education (typical example: MSc project
> on sound localization ability when wearing hearing aids). We would
> like to have a good resolution and the ability to play sounds via any
> number of channels simultaneously.
> I am asking for your opinion about the following two options (Both are
> about the same price and have 24 channels (up to 16 bit and 100 kHz).
> A)
> National Instruments
> http://ohm.ni.com/advisors/retrieve?id=PX2936227&emailqte=1450855
> is controlled via data acquisition toolbox and connected to PC via
> express card (for flexibility, though can use PCI card as well as or
> instead of).
> B)
> Tucker Davies:
> www.tdt.com/products/RX8.htm
> TD is controlled using MATLAB via ActiveX and connected to PC via PCI
> card. Both options require us to sort out amplification, though TD
> would be delighted to sell us three 8-channel amps totalling £1.5k.
> Can you recommend one on the basis of your experience?
> cheers,
> Stefan
> --
> Dr. Stefan Bleeck
> Hearing and Balance Centre
> Institute of Sound and Vibration Research
> Faculty of Engineering and the Environment
> University of Southampton, SO17 1BJ, UK
> Room 4093, Tizard building (13)
> bleeck@xxxxxxxxx Tel.: 02380 596682

Tom Francart, PhD
ExpORL, Dept Neurosciences, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
Tel: +32 16 33 04 76