From: Steve Beet <steve.beet@xxxxxxxx>
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Mon, August 6, 2012 7:23:12 AM
Subject: Re: [AUDITORY] exploitation of "Auditory List" as a free "Article Request" list

I don't think this needs to be explicitly set down in the rules of the list. However, I do suspect that this, and most similar lists, take it as read that members will use a little common sense in deciding when it is appropriate to make a request to the whole list. This applies to all postings, not just requests for reprints.

I too would encourage people to ask for hard-to-find and seminal papers in this way. In fact I would go further and encourage anyone who comes across such papers to make them available to the whole list (copyright permitting) once they've been found.

However, recently (on this list) the requests for papers HAVE been getting a little out of hand, and I've had the distinct impression that some of the requests have been made out of simple laziness, and/or unwillingness to pay legitimate fees to the journals who rely on such payments to keep their services going.

I don't think "days" is too long to wait for a paper which probably took many months to be written and published in the first place!

Steve Beet