Re: AUDITORY Digest - 14 Sep 2012 to 15 Sep 2012 (#2012-229)

All,

Here is a very simple rule to follow which easily answers the question of file formats:

Dont use a proprietary format. Only use a format that has support in the open source community (i.e., Linux/unix). I'm not saying you must use Linux, rather I'm saying make sure somebody can run open-source to read and write that file. Then your safe far into the future.

Save your files in an ISO format, such as on a standard DVD. Best to save it to the internet, someplace safe.

Be aware of the life-time of the storage medium (dont use magnetic tape, or floppy drives ;-)

Jont Allen