Re: Music and mood and Dementia

Hi Kevin,

There are certainly some interesting points there, although I don't have the time or expertise to conduct any significant research of my own in this area. I'll leave that to the experts!

And as regards the production vs perception debate, it would certainly be interesting to see if the improvement in mood observed in dementia sufferers (and others) is primarily due to the perception of the music being played to them, with singing along/clapping merely being a side-effect of the improved mood, or whether it's the "musical" production activity which most important, with the music being played to the patients simply providing a catalyst to encourage musical activity.

Steve