Re: The climb of absolute pitch

Dear Matt,
Your reference to Cariani's research into temporal properties of hearing reminded me of another observation he had made concerning the substantial effect phase associated with the complex stimulus had on the statistics of the ISI with the peaks being less pronounced than for a pure tone. I am not sure if there has ever been much discussion about phase in this forum, and have always wondered as to how the rest of this illustrious group understands this result.
IMHO I do agree with you that a feedback must be taking place if for nothing else than to account for phase even for a pure tone stimulus, which is why implementing source location in binaural experiments is so difficult. Get rid of the phase and the problem becomes much easier.
Thanks for bringing this up now as it does explain, to me at least, why the BM oscillates in that peculiar way and contrary to all explanatory models that have been offered for review. Regards,
Randy Randhawa