Re: Human hearing beats the Fourier uncertainty principle: Research

I must admit some frustration with this particular paper. First, the
Gabor limit does not apply to the task, and never did. The only limit
here is SNR_based, since there is already expectation of a given set
of frequencies, this is not a task requiring arbitrary detection.

Then, the fact that the ear is a leading edge detector has been
understood for roughly 100 years now, making "1/100 th of a
wavelength" perhaps not such a big deal.

It is nice that this performance ability by the human has been clearly
demonstrated, but the headline is inexcusably misleading, and is
already providing fodder for the audiophile "I told you so" bunch who
simply doesn't understand what it means.

And, in any case, who would use an FFT to detect such a thing? Rather
use a set of bandpass filters, eh?

--
James D. (jj) Johnston
Independent Audio and Electroacoustics Consultant