Re: Real-time spectrogram for Mac

As a follow up, I remembered that I had put together compiled binaries of the LiveSpectrogram for a demo I did at my son's school. ÂYou can see the "handout" I made at:

http://labrosa.ee.columbia.edu/expo/

.. which links to the downloads for Mac, Windows, and Linux at:

http://labrosa.ee.columbia.edu/expo/apps/setup.html

When you click the Mac download, you get a folder LiveSpectrogram_logf.macosx (this version uses a logarithmic frequency axis for more "perceptual" scaling); inside the folder is a file calledÂLiveSpectrogram_logf.app, which has the java coffeecup icon. ÂDouble-clicking that should run the spectrogram, which will start displaying analysis of the default sound input (usually the computer's internal mic).Â

When using this in class, I use SoundFlowerÂhttp://cycling74.com/soundflower-landing-page/ to route the output of programs (e.g., sound demos in PureData) directly into the spectrogram. ÂIt's a little bit temperamental, but it's great to be able to see the analysis of sound generation without any background noise.

 DAn.