Re: [AUDITORY] AUDITORY Digest - 7 Jun 2013 (#2013-135)

Hi Massimo,

I worked with an ETS Lindgren room at UC Davis with serious shielding. It blocked mobile phone signals even in the control room about 4 m from the cage. This is overkill as the brain signals of interest are of a much lower frequency. There were some high frequency oscillation in the EEG with a fundamental around 1.6 kHz, which whilst not an issue for auditory long latency responses, became more problematic when recording at higher sampling rates, e.g. for ABR, as visible in:

Campbell, T.A., Kerlin, J.K., Bishop C.W., & Miller, L.M. (2012). Methods to eliminate stimulus transduction artifact from insert earphones during electroencephalography. Ear & Hearing, 33, 44-50. doi: 10.1097/AUD.0b013e3182280353

We also recorded "EEG" from a bucket of salt water and still found the oscillations were still there.

So we stripped the lab of equipment and went in with an oscilloscope and antenna. Whether using a power source for the oscilloscope inside or outside the cage, there it was, the high frequency oscillation. We contacted facilities to verify if there was a common ground in the control room, inside the cage and for the cage.  Apparently there had been a recent change and the cage had been given a separate ground. Something to do with the building being struck by lightning and protecting equipment and people touching that equipment, such as an EEG participant. The head of the lab, a physicist, used the _expression_ of "chasing a phantom", at which point I visualised the omnipresent source of the high frequency oscillation haunting me day and night, and laughing at me. So the rooms can have problems and the extent of the problem can vary with what you do in the lab. We did not, however compare responses inside and outside the shielded room, as is a very interesting question.

Shielding needs to be grounded for the cage to be effective. Also, it is worth emphasising, the ideal is that you have a common ground for all electrical equipment near or in the lab and this is the ground of the cage, assuming you never have a participant connected to electrical equipment with that ground in a thunderstorm. You may be able to improve the effectiveness of the cage by the removal of a green copper oxide that can appear on the fingers of the door of an ETS lindgren shielded room. This can be done by regular cleaning off with rubbing alcohol or with a severe build up sanding with emory paper. This might reduce the hysteresis problem of the charge carriers getting trapped that one of the other responses mentioned, as will be particularly severe if the cage is not properly grounded.

There is a tendency now to do more EEG research outside of the shielded room with many different kinds of EEG system. I have heard a distributor of a high cost systems with active electrodes suggest that there were no appreciable signal:noise gain to be found with a shielded room and such a system. However, I know of no systematic independent study that compares auditory evoked potential signal:noise with such a system inside or outside well-maintained shielding with a common ground with electrical equipment. It would be of practical and financial significance to compare the signal-to-noise of evoked potentials recorded with different EEG systems with passive and active electrodes under these different conditions of no shielding versus well-maintained shielding with a common ground. I'd be very interested what you hear of people's experiences.

Best regards,
Tom.