Re: [AUDITORY] PESQ and other speech quality algorithms

Dear All,

I would to expose my own example since I use PESQ and other speech quality
algorithms for several years.

First, as Graham already mentioned, you can publish your PESQ estimations if
you use this algorithm for research purposes (not commercial). For instance,
I worked several years at Orange Labs where I used a licensed PESQ to
publish my own research. Then, I moved to a university where I used the free
version of PESQ.

Another important point; Stefan, are you sure that Loizou's PESQ
implementation fulfill the PESQ implementation guide (ITU-T Rec. P.862.3)?
If you did not check that (which takes time since you need the databases
included in the ITU-T Suppl. 23), you cannot really publish your result as
PESQ estimations.

In any case, I think that it is not allowed to publish a Matlab version of
the PESQ algorithms. I would propose to any person interesting to use PESQ
to download the ITU C-code, to compile it and to verify is correct
implementation.

Last, for any other person you are interested in free speech quality
algorithms, you can use the following ones:
- Frequency weighted segmental SNR
- Enhanced Modified Bark Spectral Distortion (EMBSD)
- Weighted Spectral Slope (WSS)

See an evaluation of these algorithms there:
N. Côté, V. Gautier-Turbin, and S. Möller, ?Evaluation of instrumental
quality measures for wideband-transmitted speech,? in Proc. 8th
ITGFachtagung Sprachkommunikation, Aachen, Germany, October 8?10 2008.
[Online]. Available : http://www.vde-verlag.de/data/prcd.php?docid=453120021

Best regards,
Nicolas Côté

--
Nicolas Côté
Institut d'Électronique de Microélectronique et de Nanotechnologie (IEMN)