Re: [AUDITORY] PESQ and other speech quality algorithms

Dear Nicolas,

Thank you for your very detailed and precise response.  My apologies for
not being able to come in earlier on these posts.

Yes, in summary, publication within a book of previously copyrighted
material is itself an infringement of copyright, and then the fact that
patents may be incorporated within that is further infringement. If the
code within Loizou's Speech Enhancement book does not use the same code or
patents then this might not be an infringement (other than trade name).  I
would hope so since to the best of our knowledge Mathworks don't have a
license agreement to be able to publish or distribute PESQ.

Regardless of source or application it is everyone's liability to care
about third parties' intellectual property rights, whether they are
patents, copyrights or trademarks.

There are various examples that could be considered, but probably that of
pharmaceutical R&D is most analogous here. Papers are published all the
time of copyrighted and patented material, but it is very well understood
that those developments are strongly defended if there is ever indication
of infringement.

Once again, I will say that the offer is there, to use a fully conformant
time limited version of PESQ, for qualified academic purposes, on
application from OPTICOM.

Best regards,

Graham

Graham Rousell

Business Development

Tel: +49 9131 5302022

O P T I C O M    -    The Perceptual Quality Experts.

OPTICOM Dipl.-Ing. M. Keyhl GmbH

Naegelsbachstrasse 38, D-91052 Erlangen, GERMANY

Phone: +49 9131 53020-0, Fax: +49 9131 53020-20

info@xxxxxxxxxx          www.opticom.de