Re: comparison of envelope rise times in orchestral instruments

David,

This may be what you're looking for:

David Luce and Melville Clark, Jr., "Durations of Attack Transients
of Nonpercussive Orchestral Instruments", J. Audio Eng. Soc. 12 (3)
July, 1965.

Of course, the problem is: How to define "attack time"?. Also, what
sound samples should be used to test?

Surprisingly the measurements did not use a computer, although
curves of the measured data were fit by parabolas using an IBM 709.

Jim

James W. Beauchamp
Professor Emeritus of Music and Electrical & Computer Engineering
email: jwbeauch@xxxxxxxxxxxx (also: jwbeauch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
WWW:  http://ems.music.uiuc.edu/beaucham