Re: comparison of envelope rise times in orchestral instruments

Dear Jim, a-listers,

I think from your excellent description(including that it did not include percussion instruments) this may be the one:
David Luce and Melville Clark, Jr. 1965. "Durations of Attack Transients of Non-percussive Orchestral Instruments", J. Audio Eng. Soc. 12 (3)
July, 1965.

I don't have journal access at the moment, so I will have to wait until I do to check it out.

In addition to this one, Rob Maher also suggested perhaps another of theirs:
“Intensities of orchestral instrument scales played at prescribed dynamic markings”  1965
or
“A preliminary experiment on the perceptual basis for musical instrument families”  1964

For the benefit of those with an interest in this topic, let me summarise the responses that, though not the actual article I was looking for, reminded me of some fabulous work, including your book, Jim and a new one:

James Beauchamp 2007. Analysis, Synthesis, and Perception of Musical Sounds: The Sound of Music (Springer)
J W Gorgon 1987. The perceptual attack time of musical tones. JASA, 82, 88-105.
John Grey 1975. “An Exploration of Musical Timbre,” unpublished doctoral dissertation, Stanford University.
John Grey 1977. Multidimensional percpetual scaling of musical timbres . JASA 61/5. 1270-1277.
John Grey & James Moorer 1977 Perceptual evaluations of synthesized musical instrument tones.  JASA 62:454-462.
Karl Jensen 1999. Timbre Models of Musical Sound. doctoral thesis. Allborg University.
David Wessel 1975.  Timbre Space as a control structure. CMJ 3/2

I am aware, Jim, of some of the limitations of this work, but the consistency of approach across the domain makes it useful for some comparative tasks.
And to think that it was only 50 years ago such work was done without computers!

Thanks _so_ much for all the people who responded both on and off the list. Your generosity in helping to solve this puzzle - or at least narrowing the search - is overwhelming!

David