Re: [AUDITORY] Cut silence in beginning and end of speech recordings automatically?

Hello Tamar:

The noise at the beginning and ending of recorded waveforms is annoying.  It is distracting to listeners and the waves should be carefully trimmed.

Edit by hand if at all possible, especially if the waves are intended for intelligibility testing and consist of nonsense syllables, words, or sentences.  You’ll see that it is easy to inadvertently cut off low-intensity speech sounds such as ‘s’, ‘th’, etc.  Also, make sure to cut the wave only at zero-crossings to avoid clicks.

Wave editing isn’t difficult if you practice on a set of waves and listen carefully to the results.  I can’t imagine that automatic editing methods can achieve this.

Best wishes,

Christine Rankovic, PhD