Re: [AUDITORY] Change the Sound Object Distance

Hi

I too misread the original posting and thought the objective was to move the source further away, which could start with lowpass filtering, the slight addition of reverb and cross-channel delays.

The opposite, bringing the sound ‘closer’, I have done using a multi-band [4 bands in this case] expander, and eq. I needed to remove reverb and brighten the signal. Brightening was done use a 31-band graphic eq. A multiband fully parametric eq would also be a good place to start.

Using the multiband expander, I started by setting the expansion thresholds at around -15db — source dependent, with a 1:1.5 expansion ratio, and a second threshold at around –25dB with a 1:3 expansion ratio. The bandwidths of the expanders, the thresholds, and the expansion ratios were adjusted by ear.

While the sources had been acoustic, they had all been significantly processed and mixed. The audio needed to be cleaned up because the file was to be played back in a space with considerably greater reverb time than expected.

Kevin