Re: [AUDITORY] Responses to "listening to your tinnitus"

Hi Brian and Fatima,

I concur with the Fatima's opinion that "listening to your tinnitus" constitutes a kind of mindfulness.
There are many papers related to "tinnitus and mindfulness" (google scholar found 3,040 papers).

Quoting from https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2020.00483
"Changes [due to learning mindfulness based stress reduction training] involved recognizing how their existing coping strategies (of resistance and attempts to control tinnitus) paradoxically exacerbated their difficulties, whilst experimentation with allowing, accepting and turning toward tinnitus reduced their suffering."

Quoting from https://doi.org/10.1177/1073191107313003
"Previous research on assessment of mindfulness by self-report suggests that it [mindfulness] may include five component skills: observing, describing, acting with awareness, nonjudging of inner experience, and nonreactivity to inner experience."

Observing tinnitus with curiosity (as Brian did) can be described as non-judgmental observing and describing, which often suppress emotional reactivity and distress, leading to clinical effeictiveness.
"Judgment" in this context means emotional or value-related assessment, but does not include rational analysis of the sound.

Thus "listening to your tinnitus" and analyzing it can be described as in the mindful state.

From my clinical experience, however, few people can observe their tinnitus non-judgmentally and get relief, as listening to tinnitus often immediately evoke distress via the mechanism of classical conditioning unless its impact is reduced by partial masking.
Exposure therapy can extinguish classical conditioning, or the association between distress and tinnitus in this case, but full exposure without masking noise can be delivered only in the final stage.
Thus the effect of "listening to your tinnitus" cannot be fully attributable to the exposure therapy.
Though I do recommend mindfulness exercise to my tinnitus patients (I am an otolaryngologist), the rationale is to teach them to learn that diversion of attention from tinnitus reduces or even eliminates distress.
https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/audiology/63/2/63_115/_article/-char/en (main text is in Japanese.)

Hope this gives some insight.
Koichi