Re: [AUDITORY] synthesizing virtual movements of naturalistic sound sources

Dear Valeriy,

If you are concerned with naturally perceived rendering of very near sources, like a bee buzzing around you, loudspeaker sources are not really feasible, unless you are able to go to a WFS system (or NFC-HOA), with a high density of speakers.

Note that very near source positioning (within arm's reach) requires additional processing over and above simple HRTF convolution, unless a near-field HRTF dataset is available.

For very far distances, air attenuation is necessary over and above HRTF. This distance attenuation can be modelled, but should ideally be a function of atmospheric conditions depending how far away the source is.

For detailed distant natural rendering, one may also need to account for general terrain acoustic properties.

For headphone rendering, we have made our research rendered public as Anaglyph (http://anaglyph.dalembert.upmc.fr/), free for all use as a VST plug-in. It is geared very much towards realistic proximity rendering with some basic far distance attenuation.

As with others mentioned, you should be able to automate trajectories using various VST supported hosts (MatLab even supports it now).

Cordially,
-Brian
--
Brian FG Katz, Research Director, CNRS