Re: [AUDITORY] synthesizing virtual movements of naturalistic sound sources

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 6:08 AM Valeriy Shafiro wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> We are looking for ways to generate movement of naturalistic auditory sound sources, where we take a recorded sound (e.g. a car or a bee) and specify direction, speed and distance/range of its movement.  Ideally, this would be something publically available and open source, but if there is proprietary VR software that can do the job, it would be great to know as well .  Any suggestions from experts or enthusiasts on the list are much appreciated!

If you are not afraid of highly experimental (and unfinished)
software, you can try the next generation of the Audio Scene
Description Format (ASDF), which I'm currently working on.
It allows you to define 3D trajectories with a (somewhat) simple HTML syntax.
For documentation, see

https://AudioSceneDescriptionFormat.readthedocs.io/

The format is independent of the playback software. One way to listen
to the sound scene is via a Pure Data External I've implemented as
part of the reference implementation:

https://github.com/AudioSceneDescriptionFormat/asdf-rust/tree/master/pure-data

Another possibility is to use the SoundScape Renderer (SSR,
http://spatialaudio.net/ssr/), but this is even more experimental.
Here you'll have to check out a certain branch
(https://github.com/SoundScapeRenderer/ssr/pull/155) which enables
ASDF support.

cheers,
Matthias