Re: pitch

Al and Bill and list,

The methathetic/prothetic way of thinking about the problem is fine, so
long as you accept the inner view of conscious experience as a scientific
datum (or accept verbalizations about consciousness as equaivalent to
measurements of it).  What led me to the SC/RP distinction, in terms of
operations of measurement, was an interest in seeing how much of the
distinction between sensations and perceptions (in the lingua of
consciousness) could be preserved, while staying with the behavior of "the
other one" (as Max Meyer aptly put it).  I think that the two classes,
measures of Sensory Capabilities (ie, of sensitivity, resolving power, and
channel capacity) together with those of Response Proclivities (ie, of
tendancies to assign specific verbal labels, or to respond in specific
nonverbal ways to specific stimuli) pretty well covers the territory of
sense-based behavior...without having to resort to introspection.  I guess
I am an unrecontructed positivist...  but I'm certainly willing to learn
what the SC-RP system leaves out...that can be studied with the methods of
science.

Chuck