No apologies needed

With regard to Alain's recent apology (which resulted from an
admonition by some senior member of this list?):

I don't think any apologies are needed. Alain's criticisms, even if
sometimes far-fetched, are extremely valuable in probing the
soundness of the interesting and provocative results that Martin has
reported. If someone publishes such results, he/she should be
prepared for criticisms of all sorts and should be delighted rather
than annoyed by them--if he/she can refute them. This is a scientific
game of attack and defense that we all should enjoy playing. A critic
rarely intends to offend; rather, he/she is showing his/her intense
interest in the subject matter and thus is paying homage to the
author. One criticism is worth more than 100 congratulations!

Bruno H. Repp
Research Scientist
Haskins Laboratories
270 Crown Street