Re: Speech intelligibility and spatial information

... but doesn't this depend on context.  If you want to listen to the music
synthetically you might prefer to listen eyes-closed, but tracking a
particular orchestral instrument you may find easier if you are watching it
- this could be because the actions/expressions of the player are giving
cues or it could be that simply aligning your head helps your ears to align
the signal of the bit that you are interested in - so the question would be
has anyone done research to separate out these 2 types of cues?

I find many of my experimental listeners prefer to listen "eyes-closed",
especially with dichotic signals but the visual cues that they get are
helping them to label the sounds as first, second or third interval and so
may be contradictory to where the sound localization occurs.

Sheila Williams

At 10:19 17/09/01 +0200, =?X-UNKNOWN?Q?T=F3th_L=E1szl=F3?= wrote:
>On Sun, 16 Sep 2001, Qiang Fu wrote:
>
>> We would like to close our eyes when we are trying to
>> "concentrate", which helps us listen carefully.
>>
>Yes, this is exactly my thinking. But Mr. Bregman said just the opposite,
>(he prefers looking at the [supposed] source), that's why I wonder whether
>there is difference between concentrating on music and concentrating on
>speech...
>
>               Laszlo Toth
>        Hungarian Academy of Sciences         *
>  Research Group on Artificial Intelligence   *   "Failure only begins
>     e-mail: tothl@inf.u-szeged.hu            *    when you stop trying"
>     http://www.inf.u-szeged.hu/~tothl        *

Sheila Williams                              Tel 020 7679 5399
Psychology Department                        Fax 020 7436 4276
University College London
26 Bedford Way
London WC1H 0AP