Re: Political debate

I think I have to agree with Al here.

There are many appropiate forums for discussion of political issues, but this isn't one of them. I think many people tend to judge the appropiateness of this sort of thing by how much we agree with the content.

Consider, for example, your reaction were someone to send a message to the list indicating that they were forming a new organization entitled "Scientists for concerted action against terrorism" and they circulated a letter suggesting that strong military action was now of the essence in light of the mass murder perpetrated last week. Would y'all be so keen on having a back-and-forth on this? And even if you are, do you think the auditory list is a good place to do it?

Robert