Standardization

I remember vaguely that years ago on this list there has been mentioning
of "official" definitions of terminology, be it loudness, pitch,
perception, sensation, ...

My question today is: Who did it? Which organization was/is trying to
establish a standard terminology? Can these definitions be found in the
internet? Is there "competition" (e.g. between international versus
national bodies)? I would also be curious to learn which kind of
procedure was employed (e.g., was there a prepublication and demand for
feedback from scientists active in this field, etc.), and whether such
endeavors were also extended to other subject matters beyond
psychoacoustics. Also comments on the usefulness and appropriateness of
these definitions are welcome.

Christian