Re: History of cochlear implant slides

Ward,

There is a slide that shows improvement in speech recognition starting from
1981 up to 1999, but I'm not sure it's exactly what you're looking for. This
slide mostly shows that as we moved from feature extraction type strategies to
ones that provide more of the incoming signal, patients improved. However, It
does not seperate the influence of a broader criteria and other issues that
influence performance. I have attached a powerpoint file with this slide.

Doug

Quoting "Ward R. Drennan" <wdrennan@MAIL.KHRI.MED.UMICH.EDU>:

> I've heard that there's a slide (power point image) from Cochlear
> Corp. that showed changes in the cochlear implant performance over
> its history. It shows the improvements in speech recognition over the
> last 40 years based mostly on improvements in the speech processor
> design, but also on increases in the number of electrodes used. If I
> recall correctly avergage word recognition performance improved from
> 10-15% in the late 70s to 70-80% in the mid 90s for post-lingually
> deafened adults. This is great progress and the slide shows it well.
>
> Does anyone have this slide or know where I could get a copy?

Sladen, Douglas P.
Vanderbilt University
Email: douglas.p.sladen@Vanderbilt.Edu